Guest Post: Kristina [Healthy Meals]

January 05, 2012

Meet Mrs. Robinson!
She is sooo fun, as you will see from her post!
& isn't she and her husband adorable?
I believe so!
You will love getting to know her, so hop on over and say hi!

Take it away :)



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

{casually}

Oh, hello.

Didn't see you there. 



I'm Mrs. Robinson.  On September 10, 2011, Mr. Robinson loved me enough to let me look my very prettiest so that he could promise me his forever.  Shortly after returning from our amazing honeymoon in St. Maarten, I started my blog.  My New Wife Life is where I write about our newlywed adventures, the recipes I try, and the projects I/we tackle.  Sometimes, I'm even funny!  I hope you'll stop on by and let me make a new friend.  :)

When I volunteered to do a guest post, Bre told me that I could write about anything...relationships, DIY projects, life.... she didn't know it until she read this but that totally put me into a panic.  Sure, it seems great in theory.  The possibilities are endless!  Oh, the fun my creative mind could have!  But I am the world's worst decision maker.  I swear to you that God sent me a husband just to help me make decisions.  I can't do it.  I struggled and panicked and fretted about this post.  

And then I decided to write about ....something not at all creative.
Sorry.
 
I have recently decided to make healthier choices.  This is, in no way, a New Year's Resolution.  I was just waiting until the holidays were over.  Which just so happen to be, after New Years.  I've been putting it off and putting it off and all the while, putting it on and putting it on.  So, I'm finally doing it.  I am not dieting.  I am making healthier choices.  :)  

I work at a desk all day.  I don't take a lunch break because I eat at my desk while I work.  I found these microwave meals at Wal-Mart.  {Don't stop reading just yet..} They are called "Healthy Choice Fresh Mixers."  I decided to keep track of the flavors, nutritional facts, and my thoughts on the meals.  I bought 7 meals and just ate the last one on Tuesday.  I've decided to share my findings with all of you.  I know that a lot of people made the resolution to lose weight or be healthier.  I hope this can help.  And I hope that we can lean on each other for support because...to be perfectly honest...I'm going to miss cooking with butter.

Each meal cost $2.50
 
 
Creamy Roasted Garlic Chicken
310 calories
6 grams of fat
50 grams of carbohydrates
15 grams of protein 

With this being the first of my healthier choices, I was a little worried that I would hate it.  And to be honest, I did not like this meal at first.  It had mushrooms in it, and I hate mushrooms.  The meal even had a slight mushroom flavor in it.  yech.  However, this was my lunch.  For better, for worse.  So I picked the mushrooms out, added a ton of salt to cover up the mushroom flavor, and was able to enjoy my meal.  It had pieces of chicken, carrots, and celery.  And, the sauce was creamy - as promised.  I felt full as soon as I finished.  I was a bad girl, though. I drank a coca-cola.  

Rotini & Zesty Marinara Sauce
300 calories
4 grams of fat
56 grams of carbohydrates
10 grams of protien

This meal had no meat in it, so I was a little worried that I would not feel or stay full.  I've read that if you take smaller bites, you will feel full faster.  Say that three times, fast!  So I scooped about three noodles into my mouth, put down my fork, clicked around bloggy-land for a minute or two, drank a sip of water, and then dug in for another bite.  Even without any meat, I really liked this meal!  It's so much better-tasting than the meal I had yesterday.  The sauce has a little, tiny bit of a kick to it as well as a certain sweetness.  I'm also an onion lover, and was thrilled to taste onions in the sauce.  This meal was pretty tasty, and I didn't even add salt. Today, I washed it all down with a bottle of water.  :)

Marie Callender's Classic Stroganoff
310 calories
10 grams of fat
39 grams carbohydrates
17 grams protein

I was worried that it would not fill up my stretched out tummy.  I ate it on my first day back to work after Christmas.  I was really, really dreading eating this with everything in me.  I just knew it would be gross.  I was surprised when I learned that I liked it, despite the fact that it has mushrooms in it!  {I hate mushrooms.  Their shape and texture reminds me of ears.}  But these mushrooms were pretty good because they were soft and did not have a very strong flavor.  It was pretty delicious.  I did add some salt.  I just love salt.  The sauce was exceptional.  I felt full immediately after eating the meal.  Even Zombie loved the sauce when he licked the little plastic bowl clean.  It was amazing.  I drank a bottle of water with it.    

Tuscan Style Chicken
320 calories
5 grams of fat
50 grams carbohydrates
18 grams protein

Amazing.  This one has been my favorite so far!  I think that all of these meals would taste a lot better if you salt the noodles first.  I should have thought of that already.  But anyway, this meal was mmmmm good!  It even has chunks of real tomatoes!  The sauce tasted kind of cheesy.  The noodles were multigrain, but tasted like regular noodles. It had chunks of chicken in it, which were a little chewy but goodness, it's a diet meal.  I felt full and happy and this one is my favorite!

Balsamic Vegetable Medley
290 calories
2.5 grams of fat
56 grams carbohydrates
10 grams protein

I hate to end on a bad note but, this meal was disgusting.  The "vegetable medley" consisted of mushrooms, red and green bell peppers, diced tomatoes, and onions.  I hate mushrooms, so that could be part of the reason why I did not enjoy this meal.  The sauce and noodles seemed a little bland to me, even after I added salt.  Twice.  It had a very strong mushroom flavor, so if you like mushrooms - you'll love this meal.  I, however, could not force it down.

*

Overall, these meals were wonderful and I feel like they really helped kick-off my healthier choices!  They are called "Healthy Choice" meals, so it helps to have those words staring me in the face all the time.  I am pleased with the way they tasted, and they kept me full.  I will absolutely be buying more next time I go grocery shopping.  What kind of tips and tricks do you have hidden up your {healthy} sleeve?  :)

Thanks for having me, Breanna! 

Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Thanks girl for sharing with us these awesome meals :)
I eat the Michelini and Lean Cuisine meals quite often.
However, I haven't tried the one's you are talking about, but they sound delish!
Now get over to her blog, and show her some love!

You Might Also Like

5 COMMENTS

  1. What a great little post on eating healthier! :) Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl! Thanks for following back! Awesome post! I'm working on eating healthier too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tuscan Style Chicken sounds right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! some of those meals sound delicious. I'm definitely gonna have to try some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting! I love the healthier choices!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I would love to hear from you!