Discover.Create.Live [Engagement Story]

December 19, 2012


Hello all you lovely readers of My Beautiful, Crazy Life!! I'm Kate and I blog over at Discover. Create. Live. about our lives, projects, and gluten free cooking. I also share graphics/printables and do an "inspiration" link up each week. Feel free to stop by and say hello! I am super excited to have the opportunity to share with you today. Since Breanna is newly engaged {congrats again girl!}, I thought it would be fun to look back and share the story of my own engagement...

First though, I should start with a little background on how Wes & I met. We both went to the same private middle/high school starting in 6th grade. We didn't really notice each other much
then, and in 7th grade Wes's family spent a year in Africa for a missions trip. In 8th grade when they came back however,  we really started to become friends and get to know each other. At the end of our 8th grade year {2003} we officially became boyfriend and girlfriend.

Missions trip 2003, about a month after we became "official" - you can also see Wes's brother Jesse to my right and his current wife Hannah {just barely} right next to me. Their relationship started on this trip!
The summer before our Junior year of high school Wes's family moved to Wisconsin {about 5 hours from me, in Iowa.} We got to see each other about once a month. It was definitely hard, but it was great in many ways too because we really got to grow as individuals!

Visiting Wes in Wisconsin our Junior Year... I cut all my hair off to surprise him!
After highschool Wes moved back to Iowa {summer 2007} and we started to
get used to being able to see each other all the time again. I will
admit, it was actually a little weird, but I got over it pretty quickly.

We took a week-long trip together with our church in Sep. 2007 to Israel - it was amazing!
Fast-forward to September 26th, 2008... the night before my 20th birthday. We decided to go out for some Chinese and a movie.

What a cutie :)
Me, completely clueless, taking silly pictures of course
After the movie we were going to hang out at my parents, but Wes said he needed to stop at my grandparents' first {did I mention he lived with them when he moved back to Iowa... and that they live next door to my parents?} When we got there he brought out a big pumpkin and had me carve out the top {I was definitely suspicious at this point lol}


Inside was a bunch of candy pumpkins!! {My favorite fall treat before I knew I had to eat gluten free.} My clever hubby had carved out the pumkin from the bottom, lined it with foil and seran wrap, and hid a little something special in the middle for me! Definitely the perfect proposal :)



Afterwards we headed over to my parents {who obviously knew what was happening!} and called almost everyone we knew.

sooooooooo happy!
And of course I had to show off muh bling... so unique and beautiful!



Of course I must also share the next day's festivities as well... it was my birthday after all! Wes and my sister Lexi showed up bright and early to prep for my party that night while I was busy studying.

aren't they adorable?
Here's another little tidbit about me... I LOVE Scrabble!!! Like a lot. Lexi had taken a scrabble board into Staples and had them blow it up onto a giant sheet of paper. Then they made mini cupcake letters! It doesn't get any better than that guys.



Perhaps I was feeling a little over confident from being newly engaged, but I decided to sport my "Is it hot in here or is it just me?" shirt. In my defense, this was the only time I ever wore it ha!



Can't really see the letters in the picture, but everyone got really into the game. It was a great was to celebrate my birthday and engagement!



And I got one more close up of my ring. So perfect!



So that's it! We were married the following summer in June 2009. We now have an almost-2-year-old, Hayden, and another little girl on the way. Definitely loving life!
_________________________________________________________________

Aw I love engagement stories and yalls is so unique and perfect plus your ring is stunning! 
Thanks so much Kate for sharing your engagement story with me and my readers. 
If you don't know her you should take a moment to hop on over to her blog and say hello :)

You Might Also Like

4 COMMENTS

  1. awww liove it so cute and great pics to tell the story

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great story thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful engagement story Kate! I love the ring in the pumpkin full of pumpkin candy. = )


    * Hey Breanna, I wanted to thank you again for letting me be a co-host for MMI yesterday. I don't know if your posting schedule if full but I wanted to let you know I tagged you as 1 of 5 bloggers to participate in a "5 Wishes for the New Year" post. I hope you will have a chance to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi flower, your blog is really amazing! Fascinating posts! I just love it and I'm following! I hope you'll visit me and follow mine too.

    Kisses from Russia,
    http://www.zezemi.ru/

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I would love to hear from you!

Follow My Beautiful Crazy Life!

FEATURED POST

Sue's Banana Bread Recipe

 Banana bread has always been a favorite of mine. I can remember eating it as a little girl with a huge glass of milk for my mid evening s...

QUOTE

QUOTE