9 Tips for Beginner Bloggers

February 15, 2013



9 Tips for Bloggers

I am in no way a professional blogger nor will I ever be, but to have people emailing me for advice about blogging makes my heart extremely happy to the extent that I decided to write a post to share with you a few of the things I wish I would've known starting out. 

//

>> COMMENT! Believe it or not, you must visit other bloggers in order to build a friendship with them. Take the time to stalk their blog, get to know them, read their content, and if you like what you see, leave a genuine comment. Leaving a comment saying "Follow me back" or "Let's follow each other" doesn't cut it because honestly I feel that is somewhat annoying, but those who leave heartfelt comments are those blogs I tend to gravitate toward. 
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

>> CONNECT! This is the part after finding a blog that really jumps out at you in which you follow their blog or other social media to keep up with their content. You'll find that many bloggers will follow you back, but don't be discouraged when they don't immediately do so as it takes some work to gain a following. 
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

>> COMMUNICATE! I am not very good at this, but revisiting blogs and continuing to conversate with said blogger is the key to gaining loyal followers. Have a conversation with them on twitter, leave a comment on their posts regularly, or email them to just have a nice chat. You'll be surprised how many bloggers love random conversations from fellow bloggers, myself included, and how much more likely they'll be to jump on over to your blog and check it out. 
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

>> SOCIAL MEDIA! When I first started out I didn't have a twitter, but I'm glad I finally jumped on that bandwagon as it's one of my top traffic referrals. I have found that having a blog Facebook page, instagram, bloglovin, hello-cotton  google +, and twitter has really been a blessing in disguise for MBCL. I'd recommend to have a few of these as it helps to reach a wider audience.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

>> PROMOTE! Yes, we all do it, but promoting your own posts seriously helps drive more traffic to your blog. I was a bit weary on this when first starting out, but as soon as I realized it helped, I shamelessly started doing it which is where the above social media platforms really come into play, although don't over-promote because it starts to get to a point where it becomes annoying. 
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

>> ADVERTISE! Find yourself a few bigger bloggers and begin researching on how they handle their sponsors. Really what you are doing is figuring out if you would get your moneys worth advertising with them. Are they doing everything possible to help your blog grow? Reading testimonials from past sponsors are useful bits of information when seeking out sponsorships too. There is nothing more annoying than wasting your hard earned money on a blog to find that the results were less than desirable, so do your research before shucking out the big bucks to get your blog out there. 
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

>> BLOG HOP/ LINK UP! This is the number one thing I wish I would've known starting out because for the first few months I didn't have any readers. As I slowly started finding other bloggers, I started seeing things called Blog Hops and began to make appearances on them occasionally. I also did a few link ups and started to see a rise in comments as well as a few friendships forming which made me extremely happy and is probably the reason I am still blogging today. 
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

>> CONTENT! Make sure you are engaging your readers with your content. Make it interesting so they'll keep coming back to read what you have to say. Inspire, engage, and be real! I wouldn't recommend doing link ups every single post, but a few here and there never hurt anyone. Visuals are a great eye catcher/separator as well which will help your readers stay intrigued throughout your entire post especially if it is wordy. 
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

>> APPEARANCE! I know some people probably don't agree, but for me I am more likely to read your post if your blog design is appealing meaning it looks nice and as if you spent some time on it. I have always been big on this starting when I first began blogging I taught myself how to read HTML and how to design my own blog to make it look welcoming. I have yet to purchase a blog design from anyone, but why would I when I can do it myself right? It takes some time to learn HTML, but playing around with coding will eventually pay off in the long run and save you a few bucks in the process.

//

I'm sure there are more tips that I left out, but honestly the main thing is to blog for you. It isn't about the number of followers you have, or whether or not your blog is making money, but it's about doing something that you love. Don't let anyone minimize your worth as a blogger because of the number of people following you because we all started out at the beginning and have been there before. We are a community of bloggers, not high school cliques, and we should be encouraging each other, not tearing each other down. So if you take anything from this post, please remember that I am in no way a professional blogger and these are just my opinions and advice for bloggers starting out. Take it with a grain of salt :)

You Might Also Like

40 COMMENTS

  1. These are great tips! I have still not jumped on the twitter bandwagon. I'm not sure I have the time to devote to it. I'm still thinking about it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! I agree with all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips Breanna, I couldn't have said it better myself {but I'm not an expert blogger either}! I will be sending my friends who are just starting to blog to these tips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips. I'm still figuring twitter out. I am loving G+ though. All of the commenting and building relationships is so time cosuming. It's not that I don't want to do it...I just have to have enough time to do it all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there. Thanks for this post! and I'm gonna try to comment thoroughly as I can.

    I havent been using blogger long which is why I've been asking around for help. some have helped me. some havent. those that have i thank them.

    I have went to blog hops and did what I was suppose to do and commented and I believe I've followed and commented more than the number of followers I have. Which is 41 now. I had 7 to start off with. So my number has grown. esp in the last week or so. which I am glad.

    I've been told several times that I was gonna be a guest on someone else's blog but never heard anything else about it. it's like when a person tells me something I'm hoping they'll go by their word but instead it's like false promising and I dont like that.


    I even made a facebook blog page today in hopes to gain more followers. no luck yet. I have a regular facebook page, twitter, google +, and other things.

    I am also on bloglovin' and networkingblog. But i have no idea how to get my blogs on those and cant find anyone to help. Im not one to google info. I want someone to explain things to me and then I do it that way. I learn better that way I guess you can say.

    I think my design of my blog looks good and ive done the links for email, twitter, facebook and all that.

    I dont know if i'm doing something wrong or what. or if I come around as being something that Im not. I wish I could figure it out but I cant.

    I try to read my blogs daily and see who's posting and who's not and go down my blog page and read and comment and i rarely get comments. maybe 3 to 4 a day. nothing big.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really, really love these tips. I loved the idea of blog hops in particular - I never really participate in them but I think it's about time. And I think Twitter chats are such a good idea, too. I'm going to put these into play this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. aw I loved reading this post! I was just like you when I started last year, because I didn't blog very often I never had much traffic! I think my blogging has picked up a bit now which is good! I never even knew what a blog hope was till about a month ago oh dear hahaha! twitter is great though xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any blogger can always use tips and advice, thanks for sharing these with us! I think Twitter has really helped my blog grow as has sponsoring other blogs and guest posting on those.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's impressive that you taught yourself html. I know how to change a border size, does that count? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very good and helpful post.
    If you don't mind my asking...what all did you read to help you understand html? Was it a certain book or do you have links to something here on the internet that you read? I'm wanting to design my blog better but I don't know where to start or what to read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know how to tie my shoes and make the sweetest sweet tea South of the Mason-Dixon line, but you teaching yourself HTML code is over the top. I can say the alphabet backward, does that count for anything?! Seriously, this is a GREAT post for bloggers of all generations (newbies to the seasoned) and we can all use a refresher course every now and then. Plus, you've hit a home-run with simple steps anybody can do. Well, except that HTML stuff. I'll stick to sweet tea. BIG HUGS!!!

    Nicole @ Three 31
    http://nicoleandkevin.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely tips! I definitely have to work on a few of these :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those tips are really helpful! Could've used them when I was a newbie. :)

    x Vanessa | houseinthesand.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been blogging for ten years now and I -still- have trouble with the first one of commenting. I always seem to chicken out at the last minute. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love all these tips. Connecting with other bloggers has been the most helpful and the most fun. I finally feel like I have blog friends, and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love these tips, as a new blogger they really help! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this post!

    I have been recently working on my own blog, and it is really encouraging to hear tips like these that are simple and doable for anyone.

    Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. GReat advise! I want to learn HTML so badly. Where did you learn? Is there a book or website you would recommend for that?

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great advice and tips, Ive been blogging for a while now and though my blog is still small I enjoy it so much and Im always looking for ways and ideas so make it better. Ive made some great friends in the blog world.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello! Found you on the Aloha Blog hop.
    I am your newest follower, would you care to return the favor?

    http://www.beautybykrysti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this!! Such awesome tips !!!! I agree with you on all 9, communication is key to a successful blog :) have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this! I just came across your blog from framed frosting (and found her tonight from Melissa Rose Designs). Anyhow, I've been blogging about a months and can certainly use the good tips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing !! There's so much to learn with blogging! Every little tip helps!! You're blog is actually where I first learned the importance of blog-hops and link parties a few months ago when I started out! So appreciative!

    Aanika x

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are great tips, and not just for beginner bloggers...they are good to remember for people that have been blogging for awhile too :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just read this awesome post last night on Bloglovin' and here you are linked up on the blog hop. Love it! This is great. Seriously.

    Thanks!
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great tips!! I still consider myself a beginner blogger so I really like posts like these.

    ReplyDelete
  27. oh god agree with the first tips!! its just so annoying when people just leave comment to follow each other when they didnt even say anything about my blog post =_='
    plus the blog hop didnt work to me. im following many blogs in blog hops and asked them to follow back or at least visit.. well most of them didnt do.. =.=' i dont like blog hop now
    this is very nice post! thanks for the tips x3

    do you want to follow each other?
    visit my blog ^^
    www.luchluchcraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are all excellent tips, even for bloggers that have been around for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I agree that GENUINE comments are important. I have gotten a few that seemed to be poorly-disguised attempts at self-promotion. Don't just call my blog "nice" and then tell me to visit yours. This hobby is about reading other peoples' blogs as much as writing your own.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for these tips Breanna!
    As a relatively newish blogger, I'm always poking around on the internet in hopes of finding tips and guides for becoming a "better" blogger, whatever that may entail!

    I think that your tips cover quite a bit of ground are are important for bloggers who aren't necessarily brand new as well as for bloggers who are just starting out. In the internet world, connection is most definitely key. There's a fine line between attempting to make a real connection with someone and with trying to merely self-promote while faking an attempt to connect. Like everyone else has likely said at one point or another, self-promotions are IRRITATING! There's more to say about that but I'm not looking to write an essay in this comment :)

    Something I think you may have slightly overlooked in regards to appearance is originality. With all the blogs out there today, it can be pretty easy to try to duplicate a blog or blogs that you like. It's definitely not easy to be original and fresh but I think that's something we should all strive for in some way. I'm definitely terrible about imitating other blogs I like so I'm not really one to talk! Nevertheless, we should all remember that we are beautiful individuals and should always work to show off what makes us unique!

    My apologies for my excessive ramblings...I do tend to be quite long-winded!


    ~Alice
    Ainfinitaire

    P.S. Whoop whoop for Texas girls! After going through your blogging tips, I couldn't help but take a look at your "About Me" page before looking around your blog a little :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi there! I found this post on Pinterest, and WOW! Such GREAT tips! I'm coming up on 2 years blogging, and I feel like I have to scrape for every single comment or follower, outside of my own mom. :)

    I taught myself how to read some HTML and designed my own blog; I'm not an expert, but I think it looks pretty good. I have a Facebook page for my blog, which I update at least once a day, if not more. And I'm also on Twitter. Hmm... maybe my content is not as interesting as I think it is?

    Anyways, just wanted to say a HUGE thanks for these tips. I'm going to try and comment more on other blogs (like this one!), and implement your other tips.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'd definitely agree with all these tips. I had a blog a couple of years ago and wondered why no when ever visited it. The reason, I never commented, so how was anyone meant to find me? I started again a couple of years ago and the difference between blogging and being part of the blogging community is two separate things xo

    ReplyDelete
  33. I've seen some popular bloggers make lists like this, but they always brush over the details. I really appreciate how you talk about each bullet point. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for the helpful information. I just found your blog tonight and decided to look around to see if you had more tips. I love the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  35. These tips were really helpful!!! It's nice to be able to read and reach out to others and help one another out!!! Thank you for the info!!

    Hugs xo Dinah @ sunshine super glam

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great post! So glad I came across it. Thank you for the advice! I would love to hear how you taught yourself HTML. Any resources you thought were helpful? I have been searching around and picking up bits and pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I feel like you answered my prayers! Reading this post made me realize I am not alone. Starting a new blog is hard work and a bit frustrating so this calmed my nerves. Follow me back!

    theaveragegirlchronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I would love to hear from you!

Follow My Beautiful Crazy Life!

FEATURED POST

Sue's Banana Bread Recipe

 Banana bread has always been a favorite of mine. I can remember eating it as a little girl with a huge glass of milk for my mid evening s...

QUOTE

QUOTE