I Made It Out Alive: Surgery Recap

July 30, 2013



I guess my attempt at preventing MBCL from falling off the face of the planet failed, but it was a fun attempt at that right? I clearly underestimated how much time it would really take for me to recover and get back in the swing of things. As I sit typing this I must admit I am not anywhere near close to being back to blogging. I can hardly keep my eyes open much less take the pain of sitting down long enough to even get a post written. I've thought a lot about what I wanted to include in this post and an update is guaranteed, however I'm also gonna give you my perspective on surgery as well as shed a little light on my experience.

[before surgery: kaylee's get well balloons to me: admitted to hospital]

The surgery itself went well and I don't even remember counting back before going under. I remember waking up in recovery and dozing back off before finally finding myself back in the surgery day care center. I think it is probably the stupidest idea to sit around all day waiting for someone to pee. I was out of surgery by 1 where I spent the next 4 hours trying to physically and mentally prepare myself to move so I could get out of bed and prove I was ready to go home. Right? Wrong.. seriously I could tell you a million things wrong with that idea like how does peeing make you eligible to go home? If I would of just been admitted to the hospital right than and there I probably would of saved myself some unneeded pain and suffering. I was released at 5 and a few short hours later I found myself yelling for them to take me to the ER because I hurt so bad. It was seriously the longest 5 hours I've ever waited in a waiting room and if I wasn't more than certain I was about to die from the amount of pain I was experiencing I'd probably of left. Folks, I'm pretty sure I know what it feels like to give birth or at least the amount of pain accompanied with it because quite frankly it was excruciating. I was seen by the ER doctor at 2 in the morning where he phoned my actual doctor who we could never get a hold of beforehand to ask what I should do, and sure enough 20 minutes later my doctor was there and you could tell he felt pretty bad for me. He had a cat scan done to make sure I didn't have any hernias. However, to save you from all the details I was screaming bloody murder by this point because my bladder hurt so bad I couldn't stand it any longer. I was literally screaming for them to put a catheter in and I'm so glad they finally did because it didn't even take me a full 3 hours to fill up an entire bag [2 litters] so in other words my bladder was about to burst. 

After that I was admitted into the hospital for the night and I must admit that was probably the best I've felt this entire week due to the great pain medication they were giving me. 

BTW: I ended up having 5 laparoscopy cuts instead of the original 3 as discussed and to come to find out that I have a uterus of a lady who has had 10 kids by now, so I basically had a uterine lift. OUCH!

Awkward:
The fact that so many people have seen me naked or if not fully naked, exposed in some way over the last week. 
Wearing your fiance's boxers all week because panties are too tight for my sutures on my tummy.
I haven't worn my engagement ring all week because I didn't want it to get in the way + my fingers are swollen.
I've literally sat around all week and hadn't been outside until yesterday afternoon. 
people waiting on you hand in foot is kinda not the worse thing ever, but I do wish I could do things for myself once again like shower.

Awesome:
Throughout this entire process, I've attained 3 new pair of socks.
After all this, I hopefully will be able to birth healthy babies someday without the heartache of miscarriages.
Get well cards, flowers, and chocolates are all my favorite pick me ups.
I have a post op appointment today that I couldn't be more excited for considering I'm running out of pain meds. 

You Might Also Like

14 COMMENTS

  1. Glad to hear that you survived! Hope you start feeling more like yourself soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that the surgery went well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless your sweet heart, praying you make a full recovery and get a good report today. Take care and blessings abundant to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes!!! That pain sounds awful. I can't imagine. Hope you get some more pain meds at your post op appt today.

    Glad they got you squared away when you went back to the hospital though. I hope the rest of your recovery is much smoother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart goes out to you. I am so glad that it is done and over with. A few days back before your surgery I was doing a devotional from a book and you came to mind when I read this, then I read this post and instantly went back to the same thought:

    "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go" Joshua 1:9

    In my book it was talking about how we all face fortresses of varying sizes at points in our lives...we each have our own trials to go through and how God knows all about it.

    I do think that you are strong and a courageous person for going through this surgery.

    My favorite part of this is and what stood out the most is "for the Lord God will be with you wherever you go" .

    Anyways I just felt it on my heart to share this with you and prayed about it before I decided to share that it would be from God, not from myself.

    Take care of yourself. Each day will keep on getting better..hang on in there, it may not be easy but remember God knows all about it and he is right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you are okay! Hopefully the worst is over and you are on the road to recovery. I mentioned it before but I have a surgery planned later this year. My biggest fear is the catheter. Wondering if you could tell me how it is when you get a chance. How bad is it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you made it out in one piece...and that you're doing well enough to sit down and write this!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely take the time to catch up on rest! Hospital socks are the best ;-) Hope your follow-up goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. it will only get better from here! keep up the recovery, rest, take your meds, and you'll be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG Bree that sounds like the most horrible experience ever. :( I am soooo sorry you had to go through that.

    Continuing to pray that you recover quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look great though! Glad you made it out and are resting/healing well now.

    ~Sherine
    Confessions Of A City Girl / Enerjiee

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow what an intense experience! Praying for you to continue healing quickly and for the pain to reside as fast as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a day girl, Im so glad to hear its behind you and you are on the road to recovery!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am glad you are doing well, and I know what you mean about the socks - make sure to keep them, they are AWESOME!

    xx
    Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I would love to hear from you!