Privacy

April 04, 2012


As I started searching yellow pages for some of the addresses I need for my grad invites; it got me thinking about how much information is too much?
Isn't it a bit much that ANYONE can search for your address?
I'm not sure how you feel about that, but it's kind of scary in my perspective!

Among all things I googled my name and was quite surprised at all that came up!
15,300 search results to be exact; although, I know I'm not the only person in the world with my name, more than 90% of it I could recall.
As I started looking through all the results I noticed quite a bit of social networking websites appearing, old high school information such as sports results, as well as my blog posts.
Well hello Breanna, obviously your blog is going to come up because your settings are set that way [not anymore, mind you] However, the more I look at the results I noticed that ANY comment I've ever left another blogger appears as well and that is something I don't have any control over!
It goes to show that you must be careful with what you put on the internet because it doesn't go away and it definitely can be found at the drop of a hat.
I than find myself questioning the confidentiality of some websites.. 
They give you the option to keep your profile out of search engines, but when it's "supposedly" hidden I can still search my name and find it!
Problem? I believe so.

You Might Also Like

3 COMMENTS

  1. I just did the same thing but it turns out my married name has a lot more people with the same name. My maiden name only has me. But it is crazy to think about why we put this stuff out on the web and we have to be careful of what things are being posted.
    -wHiT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I google my name every once in a while, and I'm always interested to see what comes up, especially since I have a fairly unique name.

    Good post, lady!

    Keep Shining,
    Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super creepy! I'm off to Google myself now! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I would love to hear from you!

Blog Love